There are a limited number of days left in 2017. McManus & Associates Founding Principal John O. McManus recently discussed imperatives before year-end for the firm’s clients, in light of significant current events, concerns, and considerations, and amidst a changing tax and economic environment. Listen to the call below, as well as review the list of topics that are covered.
1.Tax Reform – How will potential estate tax repeal impact you?
2. Estate Freezes – You have exhausted much of your lifetime gift exemption; how can a GRAT aid in shifting wealth in a tax-effective manner?
3. Low Interest Rates and the Market – How does the continued low-interest rate environment support the transfer of investments to the next generation?
4. Leveraging Existing Trusts – How can you deploy previously gifted assets to participate in other estate tax minimization strategies?
5. Family Limited Partnerships – What actions should you be taking in light of the new Partnership Audit rules?
6. Estate Tax – Can estate tax be eliminated if you have taken full advantage of all wealth transfer opportunities but still have a sizable net worth?
7. Asset Protection – Are you confident in your protections against exposure to personal and professional liability?
8. Life Insurance – How does premium financing of life insurance by a family member or bank shift wealth and minimize tax?
9. Planning with Basis – Can you take advantage of upstream gifting to an older family member to minimize capital gains tax?
10. Compliance – Are you certain that you have met the IRS requirements for reporting gifts that you have made in 2016 and prior to 2016?