Yesterday, McManus & Associates held a client conference call reviewing several immediate strategies that clients should consider employing before year-end. With the proposed tax reforms listed in President Obama’s budget, certain planning strategies are in the crosshairs and may not be around for long. Although legislation next year could be made retroactive to January 1, 2014, if you act before the end of 2013 such changes will not affect your planning. Get inside the castle walls now.
During the half-hour call, the firm shares effective strategies and highlights maintenance items required to ensure one’s family wealth remains protected. Below are the 10 questions that will be answered by listening to the recording.
- Laws could change with new revenue debates. Have you made lifetime gifts in trust? Created a grantor trust?
- Have you made sure to operate your family LLC/Limited partnership as a legitimate business? What should you do before year-end?
- What should you give away? Are you planning to make annual exclusion gifts, gift appreciated securities etc? Have you prepared Crummey notices?
- Should you create lifetime trusts for your children? Have you given your trustees a limited power of appointment?
- What can you prepay? What should you prepay? Home, deductibles, medical expenses, major year-end purchases?
- Have you crossed any major milestones this year? Do you have children who turned 18 this year? Do the fiduciaries and guardians named in your documents still reflect your current wishes? Are your powers of attorney up to date?
- Have you made contributions to your family foundation and/or donated to charity?
- Are you over 70 ½? How to use Required Minimum Distribution to your advantage.
- Create GRATs or QPRTs. Given the current interest rates what should you consider?
- How should you consider harvesting capital gains, timing long-term losses?
Give us a call at 908-898-0100. We can help you identify which strategies you should implement now before the calendar rolls over to 2014.